Monday, April 28, 2014

Tuna Noodle Casserole



Do you have a dish that speaks to your childhood or reminds of you dinners at your house growing up. Tuna Noodle Casserole is one of those things for me. I loved it then and I still love it and to make things even more exciting my son LOVES it!! I was so excited when he ate his whole bowl and did not make it a challenge. It was wonderful! Do you have any childhood favorites? Mine would be Mac & Cheese and Peas, Apple Pie, Apple Crisp, Marion berry Pie, Rolled Chicken, Lasagna, Chocolate Chip cookies, this dreamy creamy rice and Chicken dish (I am not even sure it has a name;)), Potato chips and cottage cheese (weird, maybe, but its delicious), my Dad's homemade breakfast (my dad makes the best breakfast, I love going over to his house for breakfast). Back to the Tuna Noodle Casserole, this comes from my Dad's Mother my Grandma Camilla:) She was truly the kindest, sweetest lady you ever met. She loved to tell a good story and while in my younger days I do not think I appreciated that much she still loved me all the same even though I didn't always sit through them:) She would watch us when my parents went out of town and when she picked us up from a sports practice she always had a full meal as a snack for us waiting! I always remember riding in her car and thinking how am I going to eat all this Grandma!! Its no wonder such a comforting dish comes from a lady who was so gracious, kind, and loving, you felt comfort around her and she made comfort food!! 

You start with a few basics that I think should always be in your fridge or pantry. I am a huge believer in always having a stocked up pantry and fridge that way you can always throw together something at the last minute no matter what. Milk, Cheddar Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, Sour Cream, Canned Tuna, Frozen Peas, Egg Noodles, Breadcrumbs, Salt & Pepper.

Grate up your 2 heaping cups or Cheddar and 1/3 cup Parmesan. Always use fresh if you can, it just tastes so much better.


Get your noodles cooking. Have you seen this trick on Pinterest were you put the wooden spoon over the pot to prevent over flow?!?! I love it!! I found it a year or so ago and I have been doing it ever since! It works so good:)


After your noodles are cooked and drained put them back into the pot and add the ingredients: 2 can well drained Tuna, 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 3/4 cup milk, 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, i cup frozen peas, 3/4 teaspoon salt (add more to taste if needed), 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir together and pour into a 9x13 baking pan.



 Assemble your 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup Parmesan. Mix together and spread over casserole.


Add the rest of your Cheddar Cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until bubbling.



Serve it up warm with the top browned a little and the inside creamy and comforting! This recipe is so quick and easy that it is good all year round. It is a comfort food that to me has no season and if my son gobbles it up it really has no season! I goes on the menu 1-2 times a month no questions or complaints:)! 

Tuna Noodle Casserole
Ms. Marquet's Kitchen-Gillian

8 ounces extra wide egg noodles
2 cans albacore tuna, well drained
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter melted
1/2 heaping cup cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook noodles as directed on package. Return drained noodles to the pot they were cooked in. Stir in tuna, sour cream, milk, salt & pepper, cheese, and peas. Pour into 9x13 baking pan.
Mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and butter; sprinkle over casserole, the top with the cheddar cheese. Bake 25 minutes or until bubbly.


No comments:

Post a Comment